Research Papers and Talks by Dr. Alan K. Betts
Reverse chronological order. The first paper is a brief overview. Discussion and comments on papers are welcome.
Papers published by the American Meteorological Society are subject to AMS copyright. View published open abstracts at http://dx.doi.org. Copyrighted papers may not be reproduced without explicit permission from the publisher.
Research datasets for download - completed:
Betts, A. K. (2009), Land-surface-atmosphere coupling in observations and models. J. Adv. Model Earth Syst., Vol. 1, Art. #4, 18 pp., doi: 10.3894/JAMES.2009.1.4 [Published Online 1 Jul. '09] http://james.agu.org/index.php/JAMES/article/view/v1n4/JAMES.2009.1.4
Betts, A. K. (2008), Land-surface-atmosphere coupling in observations and models. ECMWF Semina on 'The parametrization of sub-grid processes and their interaction with the dynamics', Sept. 1-4, 2008. http://www.ecmwf.int/publications/library/ecpublications/_pdf/seminar/2008/Betts.pdf
Betts, A. K., R. Desjardins and D. Worth (2007): Impact of agriculture, forest and cloud feedback on the surface energy balance in BOREAS. Agric. Forest Meteorol., 142, 156-169, doi:10.1016/j.agrformet.2006.08.020 [Special book issue, “The Contribution of Agriculture to the State of Climate” Eds., R.L. Desjardins, M.V.K. Sivakumar, C. de Kimpe, ISSN 0168-1923, Elsevier, 2007]
Beljaars, A., G. Balsamo, A. Betts and P. Viterbo (2006): Atmosphere/surface interactions in the ECMWF model at high latitudes, ECMWF Seminar on Polar Meteorology, 4-8 September 2006. http://www.ecmwf.int/publications/library/do/references/list/200609
Betts, A.K., J. Ball, A. Barr, T. A. Black, J. H. McCaughey and P. Viterbo, (2006), Assessing land-surface-atmosphere coupling in the ERA-40 reanalysis with boreal forest data. Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 140, 355-382, doi:10.1016/j.agrformet.2006.08.009. Also available as http://www.ecmwf.int/publications/library/ecpublications/pdf/era40/ERA40PRS26_rev1.pdf
Hall, F.G., A.K. Betts, S. Frolking, R. Brown, J. M. Chen, W. Chen, S. Halldin, D. P. Lettenmaier, and J. Schafer, (2004): The boreal climate. Chapter 7 in Vegetation, Water, Humans and the Climate: a New Perspective on an Interactive System, A Synthesis of the IGBP Core Project, Biospheric Aspects of the Hydrological Cycle, Eds, Kabat et al., Springer, Berlin, Heidelberg, New York, pp. 93-114. ISSN 1619-2435, ISBN 3-540-42400-8.
Betts, A.K. (2003), The diurnal cycle over land in “Forests at the Land-Atmosphere interface” [ISBN: 0-85199-677-9], Eds.,.M. Mencuccini, J. Grace, J. Moncrieff and K..McNaughton, pp. 73-93, CABI Publishing, Wallingford, Oxon OX10 8DE, UK.
Barr, A. G., A K. Betts, T.A. Black , J.H. McCaughey and C.S. Smith (2001): Intercomparison of BOREAS Northern and Southern Study Area Surface Fluxes in 1994. J. Geophys. Res., 106, 33543-33550.
Betts, A. K., P. Viterbo, A.C.M. Beljaars and B.J.J.M. van den Hurk, (2001): Impact of BOREAS on the ECMWF Forecast Model. J. Geophys. Res., 106, 33593-33604.
Betts, A. K., J. H. Ball, and J. H. McCaughey, (2001): Near-surface climate in the boreal forest. J. Geophys. Res., 106, 33529-33542, doi:10.1029/2001JD900047.
Betts, A. K., (2001): The diurnal cycle over land. ECMWF Semina, Sept. 3-7, 14pp http://www.ecmwf.int/publications/library/ecpublications/pdf/seminar/2001/sem01betts.pdf
Van den Hurk, B.J.J.M., P. Viterbo, A.C.M. Beljaars and A. K. Betts, 2000: Offline validation of the ERA40 surface scheme. ECMWF Tech Memo, 295, 43 pp., Eur. Cent. For Medium-Range Weather Forecasts, Shinfield Park, Reading RG2 9AX, England,UK. http://www.ecmwf.int/publications/library/ecpublications/_pdf/tm/001-300/tm295.pdf
Herring, D., (1999), Should we talk about the weather? Improving global forecasts with BOREAS research. NASA Earth Observatory Feature Article, Boreal ecosystem series, 3. http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Features/BOREASAlbedo
(Plain English review of Alan Betts research)
Viterbo, P. and A.K. Betts, 1999: The impact on ECMWF forecasts of changes to the albedo of the boreal forests in the presence of snow. J. Geophys. Res., 104, 27803-27810.
Betts, A.K., P. Viterbo, A.C.M. Beljaars and B. Van den Hurk, 1999: Use of field data to diagnose land-surface interaction. Proc. ECMWF Semina on Diagnosis of Models and Data Assimilation systems. Sept. 6-10, 1999, Reading, United Kingdom, 347-364. http://www.ecmwf.int/publications/library/ecpublications/pdf/seminar/1999/sem1999betts.pdf
Betts, A. K., M. L. Goulden, and S.C. Wofsy, 1999: Controls on evaporation in a boreal spruce forest. J. Climate, 12, 1601-1618.
Betts A. K., P. Viterbo, A.C.M. Beljaars, H-L. Pan, S-Y. Hong, M. L.Goulden and S.C. Wofsy, 1998: Evaluation of the land-surface interaction in the ECMWF and NCEP/NCAR reanalyses over grassland (FIFE) and boreal forest (BOREAS). J. Geophys. Res., 103, 23079-23085.
Betts, A. K., 1998: Evaluating the land-surface component of NWP models using field experiment data, specifically BOREAS. ECMWF/WCRP/GEWEX Workshop, 29 June - 2 July 1998. http://www.ecmwf.int/publications/library/ecpublications/pdf/workshop/1998/Modelling/wsmodelling_betts.pdf
Betts, A. K., 1998: Surface diurnal cycle over Venezuela. Meteorol. Atmos. Phys., 67, 213-216. (Herbert Riehl Memorial Vol.).
MacPherson, J. I. and A. K. Betts, 1997: Aircraft encounters with strong coherent vortices over the boreal forest. J. Geophys. Res., 102, 29231-29234.
Barr, A.G. A.K. Betts, R. Desjardins and J. I. MacPherson, 1997: Comparison of regional surface fluxes from boundary-layer budgets and aircraft measurements above boreal forest. J. Geophys. Res, 102, 29213-29218.
Betts A. K. and J. H. Ball, 1997: Albedo over the boreal forest. J. Geophys. Res., 102, 28901-28910.
Betts, A. K., J. H. Ball, B. J. Smith and S. R. Shewchuk, 1997: Comparison of SRC/BOREAS and AES humidity sensors at Meadow Lake , Saskatchewan. J. Geophys. Res.,102, 28911-28914.
Barr, A.G. and A.K. Betts, 1997: Radiosonde Boundary-layer budgets above a Boreal forest. J. Geophys. Res, 102, 29205-29212.
Betts, A. K., J.H. Ball, A.C.M. Beljaars, M.J. Miller and P. Viterbo, 1996: The land-surface-atmosphere interaction: a review based on observational and global modeling perspectives. J. Geophys. Res. 101, 7209-7225.
Barr, A. G. And A. K. Betts, 1994: Preliminary Summary of the BOREAS upper air soundings, Candle Lake and Thompson 1994 Intensive Field Campaigns. Available from AES, NHRC, 11 Innovation Blvd., Saskatoon, SK S7N 3H5, Canada.
Recent Research Talks
Selected research talks as pdfs from powerpoint slides
- 2013-05-16Understanding and Facing Climate Extremes (24th Annual NPS Conference)
- 2013-01-31Breaking News in Climate Change (NESAF, Saratoga, NY)
- 2012-11-13Using Data, Models and Physics to Plan: Knowns and Unknowns (RACC, Burlington, VT: with VIDEO)
- 2012-10-01Climate Change in the Northeast (SUNY, Albany, NY)
- 2012-09-11Vermont: Historic and future climate change (GMNF, Wallingford, VT)
- 2012-08-23Land-surface-BL-cloud coupling & the diurnal cycle (FASTER-GISS, NYC)
- 2012-07-09Historic Trends & Future Climatic Projections for VT (Statehouse, Montpelier, VT)
- 2012-06-29Environmental Stewardship and Climate datasets (EPSCoR-RACC-HS program)
- 2012-06-26Vermont's Climate and Climate Change (EPSCoR-RACC-HS program)
- 2012-05-29Land-surface-atmosphere-climate coupling: Ray Desjardins Session, AMS Boston, May 29, 2012
- 2012-03-19Climate Change and New England (MIT)
- 2012-03-07Climate Change and New England (RSMAS, Miami)
- 2012-03-07Betts Research: 1969-1989: the inside story (RSMAS)
- 2012-03-05Land-surface-atmosphere interactions: Lessons learned and outstanding challlenges (RSMAS)
- 2012-01-19Climate Change and Vermont (UVM-Wemple)
- 2011-12-08Understanding Climate Change in Vermont (NWS-BTV)
- 2011-06-24Climate Change and Environmental Issues in the Media: a Vermont Strategy (AESS, Burlington, VT)
- 2011-06-24Vermont Climate Change Indicators (AESS, Burlington, VT)
- 2011-04-18Hydroclimate Issues: Water, Energy and Carbon (TRACE Workshop, Silver Spring, MD)
- 2011-03-10Communicating Climate Science (VT WX & Climate, Burlington, VT)
- 2011-01-27Vermont Climate Change Indicators (AMS, Seattle, WA)
- 2011-01-24Seasonal Climate Transitions in New England (AMS, Seattle, WA)
- 2011-01-06Convection according to Betts and Miller (ECMWF Martin Miller Symposium, Reading, UK)
- 2010-12-14Coupling of the surface energy balance, clouds and their diabatic forcings (A21I, Fall AGU, San Francisco, CA)
- 2010-12-13Understanding the surface and BL coupling of water, CO2 and clouds (A12B, Fall AGU, San Francisco, CA)
- 2010-08-05Surface-atmosphere interactions (Howard-Beltsville, MD)
- 2010-08-04Explaining climate change (NASA-GSFC & Howard-Beltsville, MD)
- 2010-05-27Land-surface-atmosphere coupling (Split Workshop, Croatia)
- 2010-04-28Land-surface-atmosphere coupling (Penn State Univ., College Park, PA)
- 2010-01-19Land-surface-BL-cloud coupling as climate changes (AMS-Atlanta)
- 2009-06-04Land-atmosphere interactions and water balances for major basins of the Americas (San Juan, PR)
- 2009-03-10Ecosystem change and land-surface-cloud coupling (Climate Change Congress, Copenhagen)
- 2009-01-14Diagnostic evaluation of the ECMWF model using observations (AMS-Phoenix, AZ: Tony Hollingsworth Symposium)
- 2009-01-14Comparison of ERA-Interim and ERA-40 reanalyses with observations over river basins (AMS-Phoenix, AZ)
- 2008-11-18Progress in understanding land-surface-atmosphere coupling over the Amazon (Manaus, Brazil)
- 2008-11-12Global Climate Change (Campinas, Brazil)
- 2008-01-23Comparison of MERRA with ERA-40 on river basin scales (AMS-New Orleans)
- 2007-01-17Coupling of clouds, precipitation, land-surface processes in the climate over land (AMS, San Antonio, TX)
- 2006-04-11Radiative control on the diurnal temperature range and the nocturnal boundary layer (ETH, Zurich, Switzerland)
- 2006-01-31Assessing the land-surface, boundary layer and cloud field coupling in ERA-40 (AMS, Atlanta, GA)
- 2005-10-09Boundary layer equilibrium over tropical oceans (Lyndon State, VT)
- 2005-09-15Boundary layer land surface as a coupled system (GLASS/GABLS, De Bilt, The Netherlands)
- 2005-06-14Land-surface-BL-cloud coupling (Lake Arrowhead, CA)
- 2005-02-25How can flux-tower nets improve weather forecast and climate models? (FLUXNET-CA, Quebec City)
- 2004-11-09Land-surface, boundary layer and cloud-field coupling over the Amazon in ERA-40 (ECMWF/ELDAS, Reading, UK)
- 2004-09-27Impact of agriculture, forest and cloud feedback on the surface energy balance in BOREAS (Ottawa, Canada)
- 2004-07-12Hydrologic cycles over Land (Woods Hole, MA)
- 2004-06-09Diurnal Cycle over Land (NCAR, Boulder, CO)
- 2004-06-08Boundary layer equilibrium – oceans and land (NCAR, Boulder, CO)
- 2004-06-08River basin budgets from ERA40 (NCAR, Boulder, CO)
- 2004-06-07Understanding Hydrometeorology using global models (NCAR, Boulder, CO)
- 2004-05-09Climate Change and Society: a Scientist’s Perspective (USP, Brazil)
- 2004-05-07The Parameterization of Deep Convection and the Betts-Miller scheme (CPTEC, Brazil)
- 2004-01-14Understanding Hydrometeorology using global models (AMS Horton lecture, Seattle, WA)
- 2002-05-23Role of Moist convection in the Amazon Basin (LBA-SSC, Piracicaba, SP, Brazil)
- 1999-01-11TROPICAL CONVECTION: 25 years after GATE (AMS, Long Beach, CA)