Research Papers and Talks by Dr. Alan K. Betts
Reverse chronological order. First paper is brief overview.
Papers published by the American Meteorological Society are subject to AMS copyright. View published open abstracts at http://dx.doi.org. Copyrighted papers may not be reproduced without explicit permission from the publisher.
My Orcid #https://orcid.org/0000-0003-2749-5333
Research datasets for download - completed:
Betts, A. K. (2018). A brief overview of my research by decade.
Betts, A. K. (2009), Land-surface-atmosphere coupling in observations and models. J. Adv. Model Earth Syst., Vol. 1, Art. #4, 18 pp., doi: 10.3894/JAMES.2009.1.4 [Published Online 1 Jul. '09] http://james.agu.org/index.php/JAMES/article/view/v1n4/JAMES.2009.1.4
Betts, A. K., 2000: Idealized model for equilibrium boundary layer over land. J. Hydrometeorol., 1, 507-523.
Betts A. K. and J. H. Ball, 1998: FIFE surface climate and site-average dataset: 1987-1989. J. Atmos Sci , 55, 1091-1108.
Betts, A.K., 1997: Trade Cumulus: Observations and Modeling. Chapter 4 (pp 99-126) in The Physics and Parameterization of Moist Atmospheric Convection, Ed. R. K. Smith, NATO ASI Series C: Vol. 505, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht, 498pp.
Betts, A.K. and J.H. Ball, 1995: The FIFE surface diurnal cycle climate. J. Geophys. Res. 100, 25679-25693.
Betts, A.K., and J. Bartlo, 1991: The density temperature and the dry and wet virtual adiabats. Mon. Wea. Rev., 119, 169-175.
Betts, A. K., 1990: Greenhouse warming and the tropical water budget. Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc. 71, 1464-1465.
Betts, A.K. and W. L. Ridgway, 1989: Climatic equilibrium of the atmospheric convective boundary layer over a tropical ocean. J. Atmos. Sci., 46, 2621-2641.
Boers, R., and A. K. Betts, 1988: Saturation point structure of marine stratocumulus clouds. J. Atmos. Sci. 45, 1156-1175.
Betts, A. K. and W. Ridgway, 1988: Coupling of the radiative, convective and surface fluxes over the equatorial Pacific. J. Atmos. Sci., 45, 522-536.
Betts, A. K., and Harshvardhan, 1987: Thermodynamic constraint on the cloud liquid water feedback in climate models. J. Geophys. Res., 92, 8483-8485.
Betts, A. K., and J. Simpson, 1987: Thermodynamic budget diagrams for the hurricane subcloud layer. J. Atmos. Sci., 44, 842-849.
Betts, A. K., and B. A. Albrecht, 1987: Conserved variable analysis of boundary layer thermodynamic structure over the tropical oceans. J. Atmos. Sci., 44, 83-99.
Betts, A. K., 1985: Mixing line analysis of clouds and cloudy boundary layers. J. Atmos. Sci., 42, 2751 2763.
Betts, A. K., 1985: Vector representation of Trade cumulus thermodynamic fluxes. Mon. Wea. Rev., 113, 2173 2175.
Betts, A. K. and M. J. Miller, 1985: A new convective adjustment scheme. ECMWF Tech. Rep. No. 43. http://www.ecmwf.int/publications/library/ecpublications/_pdf/tr/tr43.pdf
Betts, A. K., 1984: Boundary layer thermodynamics of a High Plains severe storm. Mon. Wea.Rev., 112, 2199 2211.
Betts, A. K., 1983: Thermodynamics of mixed stratocumulus layers: saturation point budgets. J. Atmos. Sci., 40, 2655-2670.
Betts, A. K., 1982: Cloud Thermodynamic Models in Saturation Point Coordinates. J. Atmos. Sci., 39, 2182- 2191.
Betts, A. K., 1982: Saturation Point Analysis of Moist Convective Overturning. J. Atmos. Sci., 39, 1484 1505.
Betts, A. K., and M. F. Silva Dias, 1979: Unsaturated Downdraft Thermodynamics in Cumulonimbus. J. Atmos. Sci., 36, 1061-1071.
McNab, A. L., and A. K. Betts, 1978: A Mesoscale Budget Study of Cumulus Convection. Mon. Wea. Rev., 106, pp. 1317-1331.
Betts, A.K., 1978: Convection in the Tropics. RS/RMS/AMS/DMG Conf. on 'Meteorology over the Tropical Oceans". Quart. J. Roy. Meteor. Soc. Supplement, 105-132. Edited by D.B. Shaw, published by the Roy. Meteorol. Soc., 104 Oxford Road, Reading RG1 7LL, UK.
Betts, A. K., 1976: The Thermodynamic Transformation of the Tropical Subcloud Layer by Precipitation and Downdrafts. J. Atmos. Sci., 33, pp. 1008-1020.
Betts, A. K., 1974: Thermodynamic Classification of Tropical Convective Soundings. Mon. Wea. Rev., 102, pp.760-764.
Betts, A. K., 1974: Further Comments on "A Comparison of the Equivalent Potential Temperature and the Static Energy". J. Atmos. Sci., 31, pp.1713-1715.
Betts, A. K., F. J. Dugan and R. W. Grover, 1974: Residual Errors of the VIZ Radio¬sonde Hygristor as Deduced from Observations of Subcloud Layer Structure. Bull. Amer. Meteor. Soc., 55, pp. 1123-1125.
Betts, A. K., 1974: Reply to comments on "Non-Precipitating Cumulus Convection and its Parameterization." Quart. J. Roy. Meteor. Soc., 100, pp. 469-471.
Moore, D.A. and A. K. Betts, 1974: Diagnostic Tests of Models for the Thermal Structure of the Non-precipitating Convective Boundary Layer. Atmos. Sci. Paper No. 217, Colorado State Univ., Fort Collins, CO 80521. 70pp
Betts, A. K., and F. J. Dugan, 1973: Empirical Formula for Saturation Pseudoadiabats and Equivalent Potential Temperature. J. Appl. Meteor., 12, pp. 731-732.
Betts, A. K., 1973: A Composite Mesoscale Cumulonimbus Budget. J. Atmos. Sci., 30, pp. 597-610.
Betts, A. K., 1973: Non-Precipitating Convection and Its Parameterization. Quart. J. Roy. Meteor. Soc., 99, 178-196.
Betts, A. K. (1970): Cumulus Convection. Ph.D. Thesis, University of London, 151 pp. Available from http://alanbetts.com/research/paper/cumulus-convection/#abstract
Betts, A. K. and J. F. R. McIlveen, 1969: The Energy Formula in a Moving Reference Frame. Quart. J. Roy. Meteor. Soc., 95, pp. 639-642.
Recent Research Talks
Selected research talks (pdfs)
- 2018-12-10Climate Advisor to Vermont (AGU poster)
- 2018-11-13Climate Change and Vermont (BREE semina)
- 2018-06-20Global and Local Climate and our Future: BREE High School briefing
- 2018-05-30Global and Local Climate and our future: BREE intern orientation
- 2018-05-09The GEWEX Challenge (2018 GEWEX Open Science Conf., Canmore, Alberta, Canada)
- 2018-03-09Extreme Weather and Climate Change (NE Storm Conf., Saratoga)
- 2018-01-30Climate Change and Community Resilience (UVM class: Asim Zia)
- 2017-10-24Land ABL: Observations and Models (NAS BL Workshop)
- 2017-10-05The Climate Challenge Deepens (Lyndon State College)
- 2017-09-19The Climate Challenge Deepens (Mount Holyoke College)
- 2017-09-15Climate Challenge Deepens (Castleton Univ.)
- 2017-07-25Seasonal analysis of near-surface biases in ERA-Interim (ECMWF)
- 2017-06-21Global and local climate and our future (BREE High School teams)
- 2017-06-01Global and local climate and our future (BREE interns)
- 2017-04-24Hydroclimatology: an integrated view (Boston Univ.)
- 2017-04-06Hydroclimatology: an integrated view (Texas A&M)
- 2016-12-14Using cloud and climate data to understand warm season hydrometeorology from diurnal to monthly timescales (AGU 2016)
- 2016-12-14Interweaving Climate Research and Public Understanding (AGU - Bert Bolin Talk)
- 2016-12-14Addressing Vermont’s concerns on climate change (AGU poster: Road Maps to Successfully Sharing Science)
- 2016-10-06Impacts on Numerical Weather Prediction and Climate Modeling - FIFE and BOREAS (NASA)
- 2016-09-08Global and Local Climate Change: a Complex Challenge (UVM-HCOL 185)
- 2016-07-11Revisiting hydrometeorology using cloud and climate observations (ECMWF)
- 2016-06-22Climate Change: how it is affecting us? (RACC HS groups at SMC)
- 2016-06-03Reinventing Hydrometeorology using Cloud and Climate Observations (Eric Wood Symposium: Princeton)
- 2016-05-26Global and Local Climate and our Future (RACC interns)
- 2016-04-04Land-surface-snow-cloud climate coupling (Texas A&M)
- 2016-03-07Land-surface-snow-cloud climate coupling (41st STORM, Saratoga, NY)
- 2015-10-21Addressing Current Environmental Challenges (Johnson State)
- 2015-06-29Land-cloud-climate coupling on the Canadian Prairies (Valsavarenche, Italy)
- 2015-06-29Land-Atmosphere Coupling in Observations and Models - review (Valsavarenche, Italy)
- 2015-05-06Land-cloud-climate Coupling on the Canadian Prairies (CGU/AGU Montreal)
- 2015-03-23Understanding Daily Climate at Northern Latitudes (Lyndon State)
- 2014-12-15Landscape Coupling Between Climate, Clouds, Precipitation, Snow, Crops and the Surface Radiation Budget (AGU-2)
- 2014-12-15Understanding Land-atmosphere Coupling in the Warm Season (AGU-1)
- 2014-11-07Understanding Land-Atmosphere Coupling (George Mason Univ)
- 2014-10-21Understanding Land-Atmosphere Coupling (Harvard)
- 2014-09-27Understanding Land-Atmosphere Coupling (SUNY-Plattsburgh))
- 2014-07-30Understanding Land-Atmosphere Coupling (ECMWF)
- 2014-06-24Dealing with Climate Change (HS teams-SMC)
- 2014-04-08Coupling Climate to Clouds, Land-use, Precipitation and Snow (UT, Austin, TX)
- 2014-03-08Coupling Climate to Clouds, Precipitation and Snow (STORM, Rutland)
- 2014-02-12Coupling Climate to Clouds, Land-use, Precipitation and Snow (Lorenz Center Workshop, MIT)
- 2014-01-27Coupling of Diurnal Climate to Clouds, Land-use and Snow (LSC)
- 2013-12-06Coupling of Diurnal Climate to Clouds, Land-use and Snow (LSM, COLA)
- 2013-12-03Vermont's Changing Climate (Foresters, VTC)
- 2013-11-11Coupling of Diurnal Climate to Clouds, Land-use and Snow (Madison, TAMU, UA)
- 2013-10-17What Climate Change means for New England (NE Epi)
- 2013-09-25Climate Change and Vermont (VCA-UVM)
- 2013-09-18Climate Change - an Overview (Zia - Sustainable Development Policy)
- 2013-06-24Climate Change and Vermont: an Overview (RACC HS training - June 24, 2013)
- 2013-05-16Understanding and Facing Climate Extremes (24th Annual NPS Conference)
- 2013-01-31Breaking News in Climate Change (NESAF, Saratoga, NY)
- 2012-11-13Using Data, Models and Physics to Plan: Knowns and Unknowns (RACC, Burlington, VT: with VIDEO)
- 2012-10-01Climate Change in the Northeast (SUNY, Albany, NY)
- 2012-09-11Vermont: Historic and future climate change (GMNF, Wallingford, VT)
- 2012-08-23Land-surface-BL-cloud coupling & the diurnal cycle (FASTER-GISS, NYC)
- 2012-07-09Historic Trends & Future Climatic Projections for VT (Statehouse, Montpelier, VT)
- 2012-06-29Environmental Stewardship and Climate datasets (EPSCoR-RACC-HS program)
- 2012-06-26Vermont's Climate and Climate Change (EPSCoR-RACC-HS program)
- 2012-05-29Land-surface-atmosphere-climate coupling: Ray Desjardins Session, AMS Boston, May 29, 2012
- 2012-03-19Climate Change and New England (MIT)
- 2012-03-07Climate Change and New England (RSMAS, Miami)
- 2012-03-07Betts Research: 1969-1989: the inside story (RSMAS)
- 2012-03-05Land-surface-atmosphere interactions: Lessons learned and outstanding challlenges (RSMAS)
- 2012-01-19Climate Change and Vermont (UVM-Wemple)
- 2011-12-08Understanding Climate Change in Vermont (NWS-BTV)
- 2011-06-24Climate Change and Environmental Issues in the Media: a Vermont Strategy (AESS, Burlington, VT)
- 2011-06-24Vermont Climate Change Indicators (AESS, Burlington, VT)
- 2011-04-18Hydroclimate Issues: Water, Energy and Carbon (TRACE Workshop, Silver Spring, MD)
- 2011-03-10Communicating Climate Science (VT WX & Climate, Burlington, VT)
- 2011-01-27Vermont Climate Change Indicators (AMS, Seattle, WA)
- 2011-01-24Seasonal Climate Transitions in New England (AMS, Seattle, WA)
- 2011-01-06Convection according to Betts and Miller (ECMWF Martin Miller Symposium, Reading, UK)
- 2010-12-14Coupling of the surface energy balance, clouds and their diabatic forcings (A21I, Fall AGU, San Francisco, CA)
- 2010-12-13Understanding the surface and BL coupling of water, CO2 and clouds (A12B, Fall AGU, San Francisco, CA)
- 2010-08-05Surface-atmosphere interactions (Howard-Beltsville, MD)
- 2010-08-04Explaining climate change (NASA-GSFC & Howard-Beltsville, MD)
- 2010-05-27Land-surface-atmosphere coupling (Split Workshop, Croatia)
- 2010-04-28Land-surface-atmosphere coupling (Penn State Univ., College Park, PA)
- 2010-01-19Land-surface-BL-cloud coupling as climate changes (AMS-Atlanta)
- 2009-06-04Land-atmosphere interactions and water balances for major basins of the Americas (San Juan, PR)
- 2009-03-10Ecosystem change and land-surface-cloud coupling (Climate Change Congress, Copenhagen)
- 2009-01-14Comparison of ERA-Interim and ERA-40 reanalyses with observations over river basins (AMS-Phoenix, AZ)
- 2009-01-14Diagnostic evaluation of the ECMWF model using observations (AMS-Phoenix, AZ: Tony Hollingsworth Symposium)
- 2008-11-18Progress in understanding land-surface-atmosphere coupling over the Amazon (Manaus, Brazil)
- 2008-11-12Global Climate Change (Campinas, Brazil)
- 2008-01-23Comparison of MERRA with ERA-40 on river basin scales (AMS-New Orleans)
- 2007-01-17Coupling of clouds, precipitation, land-surface processes in the climate over land (AMS, San Antonio, TX)
- 2006-04-11Radiative control on the diurnal temperature range and the nocturnal boundary layer (ETH, Zurich, Switzerland)
- 2006-01-31Assessing the land-surface, boundary layer and cloud field coupling in ERA-40 (AMS, Atlanta, GA)
- 2005-10-09Boundary layer equilibrium over tropical oceans (Lyndon State, VT)
- 2005-09-15Boundary layer land surface as a coupled system (GLASS/GABLS, De Bilt, The Netherlands)
- 2005-06-14Land-surface-BL-cloud coupling (Lake Arrowhead, CA)
- 2005-02-25How can flux-tower nets improve weather forecast and climate models? (FLUXNET-CA, Quebec City)
- 2004-11-09Land-surface, boundary layer and cloud-field coupling over the Amazon in ERA-40 (ECMWF/ELDAS, Reading, UK)
- 2004-09-27Impact of agriculture, forest and cloud feedback on the surface energy balance in BOREAS (Ottawa, Canada)
- 2004-07-12Hydrologic cycles over Land (Woods Hole, MA)
- 2004-06-09Diurnal Cycle over Land (NCAR, Boulder, CO)
- 2004-06-08Boundary layer equilibrium – oceans and land (NCAR, Boulder, CO)
- 2004-06-08River basin budgets from ERA40 (NCAR, Boulder, CO)
- 2004-06-07Understanding Hydrometeorology using global models (NCAR, Boulder, CO)
- 2004-05-09Climate Change and Society: a Scientist’s Perspective (USP, Brazil)
- 2004-05-07The Parameterization of Deep Convection and the Betts-Miller scheme (CPTEC, Brazil)
- 2004-01-14Understanding Hydrometeorology using global models (AMS Horton lecture, Seattle, WA)
- 2002-05-23Role of Moist convection in the Amazon Basin (LBA-SSC, Piracicaba, SP, Brazil)
- 1999-01-11TROPICAL CONVECTION: 25 years after GATE (AMS, Long Beach, CA)